SAR Alberta is the provincial association for volunteer search and rescue within the province. Its mission is to assist search and rescue teams in their efforts to provide a superior and dedicated level of service to the people of Alberta.
Search and rescue in Alberta began in the early 1990’s as a grass roots response to an identified need for trained people to look for lost individuals in wilderness settings.
Today, it is estimated that Search & Rescue Alberta provides over $2.5 million annually in infrastructure support – support of regional police, fire, emergency response, security, first aid – functions throughout the entire province, all provided by volunteers. Search & Rescue Alberta is 100% volunteer organized and run.
Search & Rescue Association of Alberta is a non-profit organization comprised of more than 1,240 volunteer members in 6 regions and 38 teams, responsible for ground and inland searches under the jurisdiction of the police within all regions in Alberta.
- WE honour our word
- WE hold each other accountable
- WE recognize, reward and value each other
- WE treat each other honestly, fairly and with respect
- WE align group and individual needs to achieve results
- WE share information, responsibility and decision making
- WE are on the same team working together toward common goals
- WE are responsible for everybody’s safety – we build it in to all that we do
- WE acknowledge that different opinions are inevitable and necessary – everyone has the right to be heard